2015 marks the 150th anniversary of Christ Church, Mount Gambier. Built in 1865, just 20 years after the town’s settlement, its distinctive architecture was modelled on a church in Western France. The lych gate was added in 1928. Upper and lower halls formed the streetscape although the lower hall was St .Thomas’, in good repair with fresh paint and a new roof, now has a beautiful altar acquired when All Saints Pinnaroo was decommissioned in 2012.
Bob and Maree Lynch as wardens are part of the small but cohesive group of worshippers who often lunch together after the Sunday service. “We have enjoyed this fellowship and the privilege of getting to know our priests on a more personal level in a more relaxed setting,” says Maree.
In 2014 the historic church bell was repaired and rehung after being silent for thirteen years. Enthusiastic parishioners worked hard to build a concrete slab and new housing for the bell which now tolls for Sunday services which have been held in the church since 1897.The bell is an important part of Port Mac’s history as it was used at times of heavy fog to assist the fishermen to return to shore and to herald in the New Year.
The buildings and grounds between them provide inspiration and tranquillity in an otherwise busy Bay Road and are a reminder to the passer-by of the sacred dimension of life.
Christ Church keeps her watch in many ways, not just within the parish but in finding links to the wider community.